May 11, 2020

Inspectorate secures blast scene at Grosvenor

Inspectorate secures blast scene at Grosvenor

The Queensland Mines Inspectorate says it has secured the underground site at Grosvenor coal mine where a gas ignition injured five workers last week

A staged re-entry commenced on Sunday at the Anglo American-owned mine near Moranbah.

A QMI spokesman said today the investigation team remained on site and was progressing the investigation into the nature and cause of the incident.

“Safety of workers is paramount and longwall operations remain suspended and will not commence until it is safe to do so,” he said.

Four men remain in a critical condition in the Royal Brisbane and Women’s Hospital and another, aged 44, is described as being in a good condition after suffering severe burns at Grosvenor on Wednesday.

Chief executive officer of Anglo American’s metallurgical coal business, Tyler Mitchelson, said on Sunday that the company’s focus remained on the care of the injured mens and their families, and finding out what went wrong.

“We have sent our coal mine workers due to work last week home on full pay and will continue to approach this day by day, as we step through our investigation,” he said.

“It would not be right for us or anyone else to comment on the circumstances leading up to this incident, as this will all form part of the thorough expert investigation. It is therefore very premature for anyone to speculate on the causes of this particular incident.”

Recent Stories

Subscribe to IQ e-News Bulletins
Menu Industry Queensland