Goondiwindi Regional Council’s senior technical officer, water and sewerage, Tony Cover was named Operator of the Year at the recent Queensland Water Operations Conference and Exhibition in Logan.
The Water Industry Operators Association of Australia (WIOA) event also included the annual IXOM Water of Origin competition – which saw Port Macquarie, New South Wales, pip Toowoomba to be judged as having the best tasting tap water.
Mr Cover was nominated for the Operator of the Year award for attributes including his dedication to mentoring colleagues, commitment to customer service, leadership qualities and attention to health and safety.
He played a pivotal role in transitioning Goondiwindi Regional Council’s water treatment sites to becoming paperless through the use of technology and co-ordinated a new roster system for treatment staff.
“As Mayor is it is extremely pleasing to see a number of our staff progressing and achieving such a high standard in the workplace like Tony,” Goondiwindi Regional Council Mayor Graeme Scheu said.
Full list of state award winners:
Queensland Operator of the Year
- Tony Cover from Goondiwindi Regional Council
Queensland Young Operator of the Year
- Andrew Hanifin from Unitywater
Queensland Operator of the Year (Civil / All Rounder)
- Brad Milfull from Logan City Council
Actizyme Awards for Best Paper by an Operator
- Glenn Twite from Townsville City Council
- Al Law from Unity Water
- Jessica Cloumassis from Queensland Urban Utilities
Iwaki Pumps Australia Award for Best Paper Overall
- Claire McInnes from Water RA and Kelly Newton from SA Water
2018 Ixom Water of Origin – won by NSW
- Port Macquaire Hastings Council
Ron Bergmeier Award – Best Exhibition Site
- Control Logic
Queensland Main Tapping Competition winners
- Tapping Tubbies – Trent Roberts and Spencer Stacey from City of Gold Coast