Feb 10, 2016

Townsville firm to lead $55m port project

Townsville firm to lead $55m port project

Local business CivilPlus Constructions has won the construction contract for the primary wharf works component of the $55 million Berth 4 upgrade at the Townsville port.

Construction is expected to commence next month, with the upgraded facility expected to start operating in late 2017.

Port of Townsville chief executive officer Ranee Crosby said that the quality of tender submissions had been very high and she was pleased that a local business had been successful with its highly competitive bid.

“The upgrade will double the capacity of Berth 4, allowing for an additional two million tonnes of product a year,” Ms Crosby said.

“The upgrade will also improve cargo movement through the use of modern handling equipment and improved intermodal transfer of cargo to road and rail.”

Treasurer Curtis Pitt said the work was among $187 million in projects brought forward as part of the Palaszczuk Government’s Accelerated Works Program for North Queensland.

The project is expected to generate about 100 jobs during the construction phases.

CivilPlus Constructions has been operating since 2004 with expertise in the civil and marine infrastructure sector. Directors Scott Ironside and Richard Lamb were born and bred in Townsville.

Mr Ironside said that the business was very pleased to win the design and construct tender to upgrade Berth 4.

“This project will sustain current employment and offer more opportunities for Townsville locals, which is definitely needed in the current economic environment,” he said.

More about CivilPlus at http://www.civilplus.com.au/

Ad Ad

Recent Stories

Subscribe to IQ Now
Menu