Mar 27, 2019

Taskforce to investigate non-payment of subbies

Taskforce to investigate non-payment of subbies A State Government taskforce will investigate construction companies which have failed to pay sub-contractors.

Building industry rip-offs that have left thousands of Queensland sub-contractors out of pocket will be the focus of an investigation starting today.

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk established the Special Joint Taskforce to conduct a forensic examination of the circumstances surrounding the failure of a number of major construction companies.

“Any individual who has engaged in illegal, fraudulent activity so they can rob subbies of their hard-earned money should be very worried right now,” Ms Palaszczuk said.

“Every tradie deserves confidence they will be paid in full, on time, every time for the work they perform.

“As soon as the taskforce team collects enough evidence to support criminal charges, they will immediately refer the matter to the relevant prosecuting authorities.

“And any tradie who has been ripped off, those who have seen their businesses and families suffer from illegal and downright immoral conduct … well, they deserve justice.”

The independent taskforce, headed by former Supreme Court Justice John Byrne, begins accepting submissions from the public today.

Minister for Housing and Public Works, Mick de Brenni, said information guidelines had been created to assist people with the process.

“The taskforce is accepting submissions through a secure online portal, via email, post and at face-to face interviews,” Mr de Brenni said.

“Investigators will travel to Cairns, Townsville, Mackay, Rockhampton, the Sunshine Coast, the Gold Coast and Toowoomba, and also meet with people in Brisbane, so as many people as possible will have an opportunity to engage with the taskforce in person.”

Submissions will be accepted until May 17, with a final report and recommendations due to the State Government by June 30.

Recent Stories

Subscribe to IQ e-News Bulletins
Menu