May 01, 2018

State steps in over road project safety

State steps in over road project safety

The Department of Transport and Main Roads has shut down work on piers 2 and 3 of the viaduct section of the $1.6 billion Toowoomba Second Range Crossing project.

Transport and Main Roads Minister Mark Bailey said the action followed two serious incidents at the Nexus-led project late last week which were under investigation by Workplace Health and Safety Queensland.

“There is a well-documented history of health and safety incidents on this project, so these recent reports are extremely concerning and we are taking them very seriously,” he said.

Work will halt for seven days or at an earlier time if the State is satisfied that risk to health and safety is being managed in accordance with best industry practices.

Mr Bailey said an independent audit of the site launched earlier this year was due to report this week.

Principal contractor Nexus was warned in February that the government expected to see a significant improvement in site safety after plant rollovers and serious concerns raised by Workplace Health and Safety Queensland (WHSQ).

Nexus has been contacted for comment for this story, but is yet to respond.

 

Recent Stories

Subscribe to IQ Now
Menu