Construction has begun on FKG Group’s $40 million Pulse Data Centre in Toowoomba, the first regional tier III data centre of its kind in Australia.
The brainchild of Gary Gardner and his team at FKG Group, the centre capitalises on the global demand for large-scale data centres and a growing trend to build wholesale data centre capacity in regional areas like Toowoomba.
“We are seeing major international companies making significant commitments to co-location and hyperscale data centre capacity in Australia right now, which is why we are excited to be developing a data centre that meets that brief,” Mr Gardner said.
“Together with our key partners, Telstra and Schneider Electric, it is great to be part of the next generation in building innovation, and creating an opportunity to attract national and global tech giants to Toowoomba.
“The likes of these companies will bring investment in infrastructure, jobs, skills, knowledge and commercial horsepower, which will help grow businesses in the area.” .
Energy management and automation specialist Schneider Electric has provided the project with expertise in data centre solutions, IoT and innovative industrial technologies.
“When we embarked on this project over a year ago, the focus was two-fold. First, to bring our data centre technology experience to the project and second, to ensure that Pulse Data Centre will be state-of-the-art,” Schneider Electric vice-president for IT division and strategic segments Joe Craparotta said.
Toowoomba Chamber of Commerce chief executive officer Jo Sheppard said members were eagerly anticipating the benefits for their businesses.
“Everyday businesses across the region are starting to realise how technology can improve productivity. Pulse Data Centre will be a key driver of innovation amongst traditional businesses, such as agriculture, mining, education and health, as well as acting as a catalyst for growth in IT-related industries, which are relatively new to the region,” she said.
Pulse Data Centre at a glance:
- Pulse Data Centre will be the first tier III regional data centre in Australia
- The centre will have wholesale data centre capacity
- It will be a single level data centre located on the Great Dividing Range on the outskirts of Toowoomba
- Situated on 30ha, it has immediate access to land for future expansion
- With power supply a key consideration, the centre will benefit from accessing multiple power supplies in the region and options for alternative power supplies.
- Its position at 500m above sea level significantly reduces the facility’s energy consumption and costs.
- The centre is planned to open in early 2018.