The Queensland Mines Inspectorate has suspended underground operations at the Eloise copper mine in North West Queensland.
The Department of Natural Resources and Mines said the mine was unable to provide information to the regulator to demonstrate that the risk to workers was at an acceptable level.
“The safety of Queensland mine workers is paramount and our inspectors will continue to work with the mine to ensure safe operations,” it said in a public statement today.
No further details were available.
The mine, about 60km south-east of Cloncurry, is owned by Perth-based private company FMR Investments.
It was restarted in 2011 after a period in care and maintenance.
CQ coal mine workers evacuated
The news comes after Anglo American confirmed workers were evacuated in an incident at the Grasstree coal mine in Central Queensland on Monday morning (November 18).
The company said sampling had indicated a change in the underground environment behind a newly sealed longwall area.
“Based on our standard procedures, personnel were withdrawn from the underground environment as a precaution only,” a spokeswoman said.
“Work is underway to prepare for re-entry and return to normal operations.”
Relevant authorities had been notified, Anglo said.
Update: Anglo American said the issue had been addressed and normal conditions were re-established, with workers re-entering the mine this afternoon (November 19).