Feb 21, 2019

Injured Moranbah North workers released from hospital

Injured Moranbah North workers released from hospital A grader operator was killed and four other workers were taken to hospital after an incident at Anglo American's Moranbah North mine yesterday.

Anglo American has confirmed today that four employees have been released from hospital after yesterday’s incident at its Moranbah North mine in which a grader operator was killed.

The company said the four employees had been released from Mackay and Rockhampton hospitals and were recovering.

Anglo American said last night the accident involved a grader and personnel carrier with 10 people on board.

“The driver of the grader received immediate treatment on site and was then transported by ambulance to hospital, but has tragically passed away,” an Anglo American spokeswoman said.

Anglo American said today a mines inspectorate investigation into the incident was under way. 

“Production remains in shutdown and will not recommence until the incident site has been released by the department and the mine can safely resume operation,” a company spokesperson said.

“All employees are being briefed this morning by mine management about the incident.”

Anglo American’s executive head of underground operations, Glen Britton, said employees were devastated by the grader operator’s death.

“We are working with the relevant authorities to understand how this incident occurred,” he said.

“Our thoughts and sympathies are with the family of our employee who passed away yesterday and we are doing everything we can to support them and our colleagues affected by this incident.

“Moranbah North will not recommence production until operations can be safely resumed.”

Recent Stories

Subscribe to IQ Now
Menu