Work on the $514.3 million Haughton River Floodplain Upgrade project south of Townsville is due to hit full tilt in April.
Principal contractor The Infrastructure Group (TIG) has committed to maximising opportunities to use people, goods and services available in the region.
As part of this commitment, it is due to hold an industry procurement information session early next month to inform local workers and businesses of the upcoming work packages.
Department of Transport and Main Roads regional director (North Queensland) Sanjay Ram said the upgrade works were expected to reach full capacity in April following the North Queensland wet season.
“Preliminary works started on site in 2018 and will continue over coming months,” he said. “Works include geotechnical investigations, site survey, soil testing for roads, water quality monitoring, fencing works, public utility relocations and establishing site office facilities.”
From April 2019, work will start on:
- Building new, wider, higher-level bridges over Horseshoe Lagoon, Pink Lily Lagoon and the Haughton River
- Building new crossings of Healey’s Lagoon and the Reed Beds curve (Ironbark Creek)
- Upgrading 13.5km of the Bruce Highway surface (on approach to, and between the bridges) in some areas of new alignment
- Building two overpasses of open-level cane tramway crossings, removing interactions between highway and cane traffic
- Upgrading rural intersections to improve safety
- Installation of wide centre line treatments (similar to other recent Bruce Highway projects), reducing the risk of head-on collisions.
“Once complete, these upgrades will significantly reduce the severity and frequency of weather-related closures in this area; and improve safety for motorists,” Mr Ram said.
An industry procurement information session – presented by TIG project manager Campbell McCall – is due to be held on February 6 from 7am at the Burdekin Shire Council chambers.
Mr Ram said interested parties who were unable to attend the industry briefing should contact TIG directly.
For plant and labour contact Kevin Armstrong (superintendent) at email@example.com
Other suppliers and subcontractors should contact Kevin Flanagan (commercial manager) at firstname.lastname@example.org
Project information can be found on TMR’s Haughton River Floodplain Upgrade page at: https://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Projects/Name/H/Haughton-River-Floodplain-Upgrade-Project-Bruce-Highway-Horseshoe-Lagoon-Palm-Creek