Victoria-based firm Andy’s Earthmovers has won a six-month contract to resume mining operations at the Rocklands copper mine near Cloncurry.
Project owner CuDeco said the fixed-rate contract covered the first part of mining the site’s Las Minerale Stage 2 pit and that it may award the next phase of mining to the contractor subject to satisfactory operating performance.
Work is expected to commence in mid-March.
The announcement came days after CuDeco revealed it had been directed to suspend mining operations at the copper operation following a safety audit by the Department of Natural Resources & Mines.
The company was able to resume operations on Friday night after meetings with DNRM, and a full review of the site Safety Health and Management System.
CuDeco said Rocklands personnel had been re-evaluating the hazards and the risks associated with site activities, ensuring that the appropriate controls were in place, and revising and submitting plans for ongoing safety and risk management.
CuDeco interim chairman Peter Hutchison reinforced the message that the health and safety of CuDeco’s workforce was, and must remain, the No. 1 priority for the company.