Oct 30, 2018

Council seeks contractors for Bowen Seawall repairs

Council seeks contractors for Bowen Seawall repairs

Whitsunday Regional Council expects to advertise in the next week for expressions of interest from builders able to carry out repair work to the Bowen Seawall.

Parts of the 165m seawall were extensively damaged when Cyclone Debbie hit the area in March last year.

The council expects the total repair bill to be about $2.9 million, with $895,000 committed recently by the State Government.

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said the money would make sure the entire seawall was built to a higher and more resilient standard.

“As a result of Cyclone Debbie in March 2017, significant sections of the seawall were damaged,” Ms Palaszczuk said.

“A 120m section of the wall had already been approved to be rebuilt through the joint state and Commonwealth Natural Disaster Relief and Recovery, however the remaining 45m of the wall was not eligible for funding under the Commonwealth’s terms and conditions, as it was not damaged by Cyclone Debbie.

“To ensure a consistent and stronger seawall rebuild, my government is pleased to provide the additional funding to upgrade this remaining section.”

The seawall will be raised by half a metre, with the improved design and construction set to minimise the potential for loss.

Whitsunday Regional Council Mayor Andrew Willcox said this was a perfect example of state and local government working together to deliver the best outcomes for the community.

Recent Stories

Subscribe to IQ Now
Menu