Jan 22, 2018

Contractors appointed for breakwater works

Contractors appointed for breakwater works

Contracts for repair projects on all three breakwaters at the Port of Mackay have been finalised, with Southern Breakwater works set to begin from the last week of January.

North Queensland Bulk Ports Corporation (NQBP) general manager engineering and development Rochelle Macdonald said Mackay business CJD Investments (NQ) were the successful  contractors for the Southern Breakwater repair works and MGN Civil would undertake works on the Middle and Northern breakwaters.

The repair works across all breakwaters will require about 80,000 – 90,000 tonnes of rock, to be sourced locally from quarries at Mt Bassett and Blue Mountain.

NQBP aims to have the repairs completed by the end of 2018.

“We know how much the breakwater means to the people of Mackay. It’s where so many people come to enjoy a walk, cycle or drive and take in the magnificent views,” Dr Macdonald said.

“That’s why NQBP has ensured the Southern Breakwater can remain open to pedestrians and cyclists during the repairs.

“There may be times access will need to be fully restricted for safety reasons. However, public access for pedestrians and cyclists is a priority.

“Please be reassured that there is no question about the current safety of the breakwater, however repairs are essential to ensure its integrity for future cyclone seasons.”

Recent Stories

Subscribe to IQ Now
Menu