Oct 11, 2016

Collinsville Coal continuance confirmed

Collinsville Coal continuance confirmed

Good news on the mining front.

Glencore will restart Collinsville Coal this year.

The resource minister’s office confirmed they are recruiting this week.

There’s been a crew of about 40 processing inventories and providing care and maintenance since Glencore cut production in December last year.

The move was flagged with news of major works leaking out of the Whitsundays coal town including a shut down on No. 2 dragline.

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk told parliament this morning that there could be positions for more than 200 miners, operators and other staff created.

Recruitment opportunities would be made available to local workers said Natural Resources and Mines Minister Anthony Lytham.

“Our regional resource communities have been doing it tough and positive developments like this reverberate through the whole community and local businesses,” he said.

“With construction expected to start on the Carmichael coal and rail project and the North Queensland Stadium next year, jobs and business opportunities will be flowing in the north.”

“We have seen Taurus Funds Management purchase the Foxleigh met coal mine near Middlemount, coming on top of its Taurus’ backing for Stanmore Coal to buy and restart Isaac Plains.

Denham Capital’s coal subsidiary has announced the purchase of a portfolio of Peabody Energy projects and in the north-west Cudeco has shipped its first load of sulphide copper concentrate.

Whitsunday Deputy Mayor Mike Brunker said Collinsville Coal is capable of producing around  four million tonnes a year.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Recent Stories

Subscribe to IQ Now
Menu