The Special Joint Taskforce investigating allegations of fraudulent behaviour in Queensland’s building industry has today confirmed details of its visits to key regional centres.
Minister for Housing and Public Works, Mick de Brenni, said the taskforce would visit Cairns, Townsville, Mackay, Rockhampton, the Sunshine Coast, the Gold Coast and Toowoomba.
“Non-payment affects tradies right across the state and I encourage people in these areas to take full advantage of this opportunity,” Mr de Brenni said.
Head of the taskforce, former Supreme Court Judge John Byrne, said the regional visits were an important part of ensuring people in Queensland had the chance to engage with members of the taskforce in person.
“The regional face-to-face sessions start on the Sunshine Coast on April 29,” Mr Byrne said.
“We expect members from the taskforce will speak with hundreds of people in these seven key areas before sessions finish up in Townsville on May 16.
“We are in these areas for a limited time, so I strongly encourage regional Queenslanders wanting to attend to make a booking as soon as possible.”
Mr Byrne said the seven locations had been chosen based on construction activity in the state.
“Importantly, we are aware that some of these areas have also experienced significant and recent company collapses that have been felt by their communities,” he said.
Anyone unable to lock in a face-to-face session during the regional visits will have the opportunity for a teleconference or video conference with taskforce representatives.
People or organisations can make submissions via the secure website, email, post or face-to-face until 5pm on May 17.
The full schedule of dates, as well as details on how to book in for a session is available on the Taskforce’s website www.qld.gov.au/specialjointtaskforce