Oct 26, 2018

Adani milestone in solar farm development

Adani milestone in solar farm development

Adani Renewables Australia’s Rugby Run solar farm near Moranbah has reached mechanical completion, with more than 247,000 solar panels installed.

The facility will deliver up to 65MW and 185,000MWh of power each year, which is about how much energy it takes to power 23,000 homes each year, Adani Renewables Australia says.

Chief executive officer Dr Jennifer Purdie the project team was now preparing for final works so it could deliver energy to customers from early next year.

“We have forward sold 80 per cent of energy generated already, and we will sell the remaining 20 per cent on the spot market,” she said.

Final works at the 670ha site will include completing electrical connection works and energizing the solar farm.

Dr Purdie said Adani Renewables Australia had been able to use local contractors from Clermont, Chinchilla, Bowen and Townsville to ensure the benefits of this investment were focused in regional Queensland.

The Rugby Run solar farm is expected to be fully operational in the first quarter of 2019, with the potential to expand to a 170MW farm at a later date.

Technical details:

  • 3 million galvanized zip ties to be used in the stringing of electrical cables
  • More than 247,000 solar panels installed
  • 175 jobs at peak construction
  • 18km of fence line installed
  • 2km of road built to access site
  • 6,500 holes pre-drilled
  • The solar panels rotate to track the sun and maximize efficiency
  • The solar panels are programmed to rest at an angle that withstands inclement wind and weather conditions.
  • 65MW solar farm with the capacity to expand to 170MW.

 

Recent Stories

Subscribe to IQ Now
Menu