TEAM Group have been named the Queensland Mining Contractors of the Year at a gala celebration in Mackay.
The company was a finalist in two categories of the awards for its innovation across multiple aspects of a stacker and reclaimer erection contract for Anglo American’s Grosvenor Mine.
In the winning project, TEAM’s innovative girder transport saved an estimated $400,000, and their clever frame lift solution achieved cost saving in the form of a quicker delivery and reduced downtime.
Judges said that TEAM Group’s focus on both innovation and cost saving embodied the spirit of outstanding Bowen Basin contractors, making them a stand-out entry for the top prize.
The 2016 Queensland Mining Contractor Awards, organised by the Bowen Basin Mining Club, were part of the Queensland Mining and Engineering Exhibition (QME) in Mackay.
Bowen Basin Mining Club director Jodie Currie said the excellent attendance of the awards, particularly by high-profile mining executives from Adani, BMA, Anglo American, Glencore, Peabody and Downer, showed a sector that recognised the important contribution of contractors.
“We launched the Queensland Mining Contractor Awards to find and acknowledge the contractors who are keeping our industry vibrant and developing by continually committing to delivering safer, smarter, faster and more efficient outcomes,” she said.
“Tonight’s win by TEAM Group shows that it doesn’t matter what size business you run, you can still be competitive in today’s industry through innovation and smart thinking.”
The 2016 QMCA category winners were:
Best Product Launch Category: Auxilium
– Auxilium’s DC (24V) light tower refurbishment program uses existing assets to reduce costs and increase reliability, performance and safety.
Time Saving Category: MDMJV civil underground project
– McConnell Dowell Mastermyne Joint Venture (MDMJV) was engaged by Anglo American to provide finishing works to the Tunnel Boring Machine-driven drifts at Grosvenor mine. MDMJV used their combined knowledge to develop an innovative approach for the drift floor, closing out a 43-week scope within 28 weeks.
Cost Saving Category: C&C Civil & Mining Construction
– C&C created a flameproof, mobile shotcrete rig capable of working in explosive risk zone areas underground, to apply fibre reinforced shotcrete as support to underground mine roadway ribs in a productive, safe & cost effective manner.
Innovation Category: SMW Group
– SMW Group is the first Australian company to work on reducing the barriers of robotic technology in a mining fabrication setting. The implementation of their Adaptive Control Robotic Cell technology for bucket overhauls has not only reduced costs and improved quality, but is producing weld completion time savings of up to 70 per cent.
Staff or Community Engagement Category: Murphy Pipe & Civil
– Murphy Pipe & Civil developed and introduced an app that enables management to gauge the mental wellbeing of its 1000-plus FIFO workforce and provides instant access to counselling.