Queensland’s largest road upgrade program will get underway this year, the State Government says.
Transport and Main Roads Minister Mark Bailey said shovels would hit the ground in 2020 on major projects along the length of the Bruce Highway as well as on billions of dollars’ worth of upgrades for the M1, Capricorn Highway, Ipswich Motorway and Smithfield Bypass.
He said more than 21,500 jobs would be supported by the $23 billion roads and transport investment the government was rolling out, including 13,500 jobs for regional Queensland.
“Not only are we building new roads, more than 6000 tradies are helping to maintain the state’s 33,000km road network thanks to $1 billion for road maintenance,” he said.
Mr Bailey said major projects getting underway in 2020 included:
- $1 billion Bruce Highway upgrade Cooroy to Curra Section D– 576 jobs
- $1 billion M1 upgrade from Varsity Lakes to Tugun near the NSW border – 837 jobs
- $662 million Bruce Highway upgrade from Caboolture to Steve Irwin Way – 664 jobs
- $481 million Bruce Highway upgrade from Edmonton to Gordonvale in Cairns – 466 jobs
- $749 million M1 and busway upgrade at Logan – 721 jobs
- $712 million Gold Coast Light Rail Stage 3A – 760 jobs
- $550 million Sunshine Coast rail upgrade – 333 jobs
- $301 million Bruce Highway upgrade at Maroochydore Rd and Mons Rd interchanges – 382 jobs
- $110 million Mackay Northern Access upgrade – 154 jobs
- $150 million Bruce Highway interchange upgrade at Deception Bay – 270 jobs
- $44.5 million Springfield Central park ‘n’ ride upgrade – 44 jobs
Major projects already underway include:
- $104 million Cairns Southern Access upgrade from Kate St to Aumuller St – 113 jobs
- $514 million Haughton River Floodplain project at Giru, 40km south of Townsville – 544 jobs
- $497 million Mackay Ring Road – 534 jobs
- $121 million Rockhampton Northern Access Upgrade – 260 jobs
- $75 million Capricorn Highway duplication, Gracemere – 187 jobs
- $812 million Bruce Highway upgrade from Caloundra Road to the Sunshine Motorway – 680 jobs
- $400 million Ipswich Motorway upgrade from Rocklea to Darra – 471 jobs
- $195 million M1/M3 merge upgrade – 257 jobs
- $152 million Smithfield Bypass in Cairns – 115 jobs
- $197.5 million M1 upgrade from Mudgeeraba to Varsity Lakes – 257 jobs
- $80 million Sumners Road interchange – 105 jobs
- Warrego Highway upgrade at the Chinchilla open level crossing